Biden Closer to 270 Electoral Votes

11.04.20
Biden Closer to 270 Electoral Votes (Photo: yraffic_analyzer/Getty Images)

South Ogden, UT and WashingtonFormer vice president Joe Biden inches closer to the required 270 electoral votes to claim the seat of President of the United States. 

But as Biden claimed the votes in some states that were for so long too tight to call, particularly Wisconsin and Michigan, President Donald Trump decided to legally challenge the results.

Early Wednesday morning, Trump’s speech at the White House gave sentiments that this election is fraudulent. 

“This is an embarrassment to our country, we were getting ready to win this election, and frankly, we did win this election,” he said. 

Calling for the Supreme Court of the United States to stop the counting of ballot votes, Trump claimed he wants to ensure the “integrity for the good of the nation” and that this election is trying to disenfranchise the American voters. 

Saying GOP count observers have not been properly allowed to oversee the process in Michigan and Pennsylvania, the Trump campaign wants to temporarily stop the vote count in both states. He’s also called for a recount in Wisconsin.

Biden said Wednesday afternoon the process has been fair, and the voters will determine the outcome.

“Yesterday, once again proved that democracy is the heartbeat of this nation. More Americans voted this election than ever before in American history. Over 150 million people cast their ballots. I think that’s just extraordinary. And if we had any doubts, we shouldn’t have any longer about a government of, by and for the people. Here, the people rule. Power can’t be taken or asserted. It flows from the people. It’s their will who determines who will be the President of the United States, and their will alone,” Biden said from Wilmington, DE.

With no winner yet declared and a vote-counting process that may take days has left many people on edge. 

“I obviously am worried that Trump is going to try and finesse his way to the Supreme Court and make them discount mail-in ballots,” said Jade Barton, a University of Maryland student. 

“It is scary for me. But I do have some faith in democracy that won’t happen. And faith in our government system that people will do their job and fight for their constituents to not do this stupid polarized party thing.”