Breonna Taylor’s Family Files Lawsuit About Bodycam Video

07.13.21

DeKalb, ILThe attorney representing the family of Breonna Taylor recently filed a lawsuit saying that police may have given “misinformation” to the public about the use of body cameras on the night police killed Taylor in Kentucky. 

The lawsuit claims that police are withholding public records that would show whether there is additional body camera video that could shed more light on her death. 

Louisville Metro police previously stated that body camera footage of the shooting does not exist because officers on the scene were not wearing the cameras or had them turned off. 

“Breonna’s family has a right to the records. The public has a right to the records. I’m just tired of the administration playing their games when it comes to open records,” attorney Sam Aguiar told ABC News in a statement. 

The lawsuit also claims that police still haven’t turned over an audit trail of the footage from the body cameras, as requested by Aguiar’s office on June 1. The audit trail would identify key details, including the time of the recordings, the user, and the identity of anyone who accessed the footage, according to the lawsuit.

“No mother who lost a child should have to be lied to and deceived in the manner that this administration has done,” Aguiar told ABC News in a statement. “So we’re going to rely upon the Court system here to try and put these games to rest.”