Content in partnership with KCBS

Bullying At An Art School

04.14.13
Bullying At An Art School
thx 1223Being bullied used to be all I knew. Now, my voice is the new ruler of my kingdom. I've switched to five different school to get away from bullying since the third grade. I thought a performing arts school would be different, and that I would make friends that have the same goal as me, to be a professional music artist. But three months in, I was still feeling alienated by different cliques, and being insulted by my classmates. People I didn't even know were rude to me. There even was a time, when I thought I didn't want to go back. But I realized that if I had to quit, singing would have just been another hobby. I wouldn't have been leaving another school, I would be abandoning a legacy I could be a part of, and create for myself. So, I decided that singing was going to overrule the fear of being bullied again. This year, when I walk up the stairs to my school I feel different. I'm more interested in pursuing my career goals than dealing with confrontation.