California Families Sue State for Not Preparing Students for Online Learning

12.07.20
California Families Sue State for Not Preparing Students for Online Learning (Photo: Getty Images)

More than a dozen California public school families recently sued the state saying children of color from under-resourced communities didn’t receive equal education during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kindergarten through high schools students were unable to attend online classes because devices and internet connections weren’t provided, according to a history-making lawsuit filed Nov. 30 in Alameda County Superior Court, according to NBC News.

The suit which represents Black and Latino students who attend schools in Los Angeles and Oakland claims the schools did not meet academic and mental health support needs, English language barriers and the unmet needs of homeless students.

The suit wants the court to declare that California education officials have violated the state constitution’s guarantee of educational equality and order them to fix the alleged inequities, according to NBC News.