Why Can Celebrities Fly in Private Jets While I Feel Guilty?

In our time of climate crisis, celebrities don’t seem to be holding themselves accountable for any of their impact.

09.12.22
Why Can Celebrities Fly in Private Jets While I Feel Guilty? (Photo: Yaroslav Muzychenko via Unsplash)

After Kylie Jenner posted a photo showing off private jets on Instagram, I started seeing people call out celebrities for their flying habits and their impact on the environment. It’s about time we start holding them accountable.

As the topic kept trending, Taylor Swift's private jet usage also came under fire. Swift’s jet was said to have flown 170 times in 200 days this year. After receiving backlash, one of her representatives explained that Swift regularly loans her jet out to friends. So all of those trips shouldn’t be attributed to her.

Personally though, I feel that attempting to turn the situation altruistic is cheap, and it avoids taking responsibility.

Celebrities are only highlighting the disparity in travel convenience, as our travel industry still suffers from COVID-19’s impact. These are people who actually have the power and money to impact the climate. And they’re the ones hurting it the most.

Because let’s be real. Me choosing a paper straw over a plastic one won’t make a dent in our climate crisis. But limiting hundreds of private jet flights definitely will.