Chicago Students Provide Homegrown Holiday Meals to Seniors

11.25.20
Chicago Students Provide Homegrown Holiday Meals to Seniors (Photo: Thomas Gamstaetter/Unsplash)

DeKalb, ILStudents from a Chicago high school provided farm-to-table meals to seniors for the Thanksgiving holiday.

This isn’t the first time students at Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences (CHAS) have given back. It’s the eighth consecutive year students have cooked a feast for their favorite elders. 

Due to COVID-19 pandemic, students made socially distant deliveries to their doorsteps Tuesday.

The school group raises turkeys, grow vegetables and cook the holiday meals as part of their curriculum. 

“A lot of the people right now, especially during COVID, they're not able to have a Thanksgiving meal with their families. So this is something really nice that they enjoy,” said teacher Alexandria Pledger, according to Fox 32 Chicago

Volunteers in the neighborhood also helped make deliveries. 

“It's important to provide that spirit in a sense for all the people who live in our community,” said student Elizabeth Dattner.