Chasing the (Invisible) Bag: Youth Employment Resources Across the Midwest

In the final installment of this three-part series, YR Media shares several programs in the Midwest that aim to provide youth and young adults with the resources they need to look for and secure jobs.

10.02.24
Chasing the (Invisible) Bag: Youth Employment Resources Across the Midwest (Getty Images)

Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin have various programs designed to create pathways to youth employment by offering job and skills training, mentorship and career pathways for young people, especially those from underserved communities.

Illinois

Career Pathways (Chicago Public Schools): This program connects high school students to career-focused learning opportunities, including internships and apprenticeships, helping them transition into the workforce or higher education.

One Summer Chicago: This initiative provides job opportunities and internships to youth aged 14 to 24, mainly in Chicago. It connects young people with organizations across the city for six-week summer employment, focusing on career skills, mentorship, and community engagement.

Youth Employment Programs by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS): These programs provide youth with employment and training opportunities, especially those from underserved communities. They focus on equipping young people with job skills, training, and internships to prepare them for long-term employment.

Minnesota

Right Track (St. Paul): This program offers summer employment for youth in St. Paul, focusing on connecting young people with meaningful work experience, professional skills development, and mentorship.

Step Up (Minneapolis): Step Up is a Minneapolis-based youth employment program providing jobs and internships for youth aged 14 to 21. It partners with over 200 businesses and organizations to provide work experiences in a wide range of fields, including finance, healthcare, and the arts​.

Youth at Work Program: Managed by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), this program provides grants to local organizations to create employment and training opportunities for low-income and at-risk youth. It focuses on career pathway development in high-demand sectors like technology, healthcare, and manufacturing.

Wisconsin

Project SEARCH: This program is specifically designed for youth with disabilities, offering a combination of work experience and classroom instruction to prepare young people for employment​.

Youth Apprenticeship Program: Wisconsin’s Department of Workforce Development (DWD) runs this initiative, which offers high school juniors and seniors work-based learning experiences. Participants earn high school credits and gain hands-on experience in industries such as health care, manufacturing, and IT.

Youth Employment Services (YES): YES is a Milwaukee-based program offering youth job readiness training and placement services. It provides teens with the skills they need for employment and connects them with job opportunities during the school year and summer months.

Rashad Alexander is a Green Bay, Wisconsin-based journalist and an alumnus of Marquette University. He can be followed on Instagram and X @ruhshaaad.

Carleigh Lewis is a high school journalist in Chicago.