Opinion: I’m Cool With Cops Being Voted Out of Chicago Schools

The policy begins with the 2024-2025 school year.

02.22.24
Opinion: I’m Cool With Cops Being Voted Out of Chicago Schools (Getty Images)

ChicagoThe Chicago Board of Education voted Thursday to remove dozens of uniformed Chicago Police officers from nearly 40 high schools in order to take a more holistic approach to student safety.

The removal of these school resource officers affects a school culture in multiple ways. 

Students and staff might feel less safe in the building with a lack of extra security, especially in low-income communities. Response to major threats will also be an issue without the cops being in close proximity to these threats. 

Though, there could also be positive effects. Students will be able to experience new things pertaining to discipline. They will be encouraged to repair relationships and the harm instead of extreme punishment. 

Communities might even band together to keep their neighborhoods safe and keep their youth from harm. 

All in all, removing cops from schools can affect its culture in many ways, both positively and negatively. There will be a risk of safety, but it will force a community to come together to keep their youth safe.

Carleigh Lewis is a high school journalist based in Chicago.