Chicago’s Ukrainian Village Protest for Peace

The Russian invasion has those in Chicago’s Ukrainian Village protesting as they worry about family back in the embattled nation.

03.01.22
(Tiffany Payton via YR Media)

ChicagoThe Russian invasion has led to an outcry of support for Ukraine and protests all over the country. 

In Chicago’s Ukrainian Village neighborhood, residents have protested everyday since the invasion began. 

Wrapped in Blue and Yellow Ukrainian flags, protesters came together Sunday afternoon in solidarity with Ukraine. 

There have been nearly 200 Ukrainians killed as of Sunday, said Viktor Liashko, the minister of healthcare of Ukraine. That death toll includes seven children according to the Miami Herald

Yuriy Zaveryukha moved to the United States from Ukraine eight years ago and became an American citizen this last summer. But his family remains in Ukraine.

“Both of my parents are in the military right now, so every day I wake up and go to bed with hope that they are okay, that they are alive. My dad is in the East right now, he was assigned to provide support to fight in the ATO (Anti-Terrorist Operation) Zone before the war began and now he is almost in the middle of the fight,” the 30-year-old said.

Zaveryukha added,“My mom is a nurse in the West. They have been working non-stop since it all began and I am barely able to speak with her.”