Civics Class Mandatory for Indiana Middle Schoolers

Students will be required to take the one semester civics course before starting high school. The requirement will go into effect for the 2023-2024 school year.

08.03.22
Civics Class Mandatory for Indiana Middle Schoolers (Matt Hoffman via Unsplash)

ChicagoThe state of Indiana has adopted a new civics class for middle schoolers, which aims to help students better understand how the government works. 

Developed based on feedback from educators, the class will cover the foundations and function of government, as well as the role of citizens. It’ll include topics like the English Bill of Rights, the three branches of government, elections and property taxes, according to Yahoo News.

In 2021, the Annenberg Public Policy Center found that 56% of Americans knew all three branches of government. About four-fifths of respondents could name at least one right found in the First Amendment. 

But those who took a civics class in high school were more likely to be correct.