Environment Issues Carry Weight in Gen Z Decision-Making

04.22.22
Environment Issues Carry Weight in Gen Z Decision-Making (Markus Spiske via Unsplash)

ChicagoGen Z expects climate change and environmental forces to have a huge impact on their future decisions, a new survey shared with Axios suggests.

Eight out of 10 teens expect climate change to affect where they live and whether they have children, according to findings by youth development 4-H and Harris Poll. 

According to the survey, 84% of 13 to 19 year-olds think that "if we don't handle climate change today, it will be too late for future generations, rendering some regions of the earth unlivable." Due to geopolitical instability, the same percentage believe that climate change will harm everyone in their generation.

While the survey results illustrate teens’ worry about environmental forces, they also give reason to be optimistic. About 77% feel they have a responsibility for protecting the future of the planet and the same feel empowered to act.