College Applications: The Fear of Rejection

The application process really isn’t the worst part of college app season — it’s the fear of being rejected by your dream schools.

11.08.23
College Applications: The Fear of Rejection (Getty Images)

Los AngelesI’m a high school senior. And right now, I’m applying for college. But with college admission rates lower than ever, I’m worried that all my hard work could be for nothing.

One day while I was sitting with my friends in the cafeteria at lunch, someone asked how college applications were coming along. Everyone in my friend group had started their apps already. But we all agreed that the essay-writing process is awful. One of my friends said she already hates talking about herself, and writing about herself isn’t any easier.

The most common concern though isn’t the actual application process. It’s the fear of rejection that worries everyone (including myself) the most. Having some sort of initial fear is reasonable in my opinion. No one likes the idea of getting rejected, especially from their dream school.

During this time, I’m trying to remind myself that my college will not determine my future successes. One rejection letter most certainly will not equate to failure in life. No matter what college I choose to attend, I can be just as successful as anyone else.

LaVie Saad (she/her), is a biracial high school student and aspiring writer from Los Angeles, California.

Edited by shaylyn martos and Amber Ly.