Content in partnership with True Star

Dorm Move Out 101

04.27.23
Dorm Move Out 101 (True Star Media)

Washington, DCAfter managing to squeeze your entire life into your shoe box of a dorm at the beginning of the year, it’s finally time to move out. To me, that means that I’ve outgrown my freshman dorm (literally because the ceilings are kind of low, and figuratively because I’m almost officially a sophomore in college). It also means that every resident of my dorm will have to suffer through the stress of moving all of our belongings out. The process of moving out of your dorm does not have to be stressful. 

Tips to Efficiently Move Out of a College Dorm

Befriend An Upperclassmen: Nine times out of 10, the upperclassmen at your college or university have gone through the same stresses and anxiety as you have when it comes to moving in or out of dorms. Don’t be afraid to ask upperclassmen about how they moved out in the past years to determine what is the best/most accessible way to move your things out. 

Rent A Storage Space: If you attend a college that is far away from your home city, it may be wise to rent a storage space so you don’t have to travel home with non-essential items. 

Mail It: Depending on the shipping company you go to, shipping your clothes across the country is a cheaper alternative to moving out than renting a storage space. 

Plan Early: If your move-out date is in May, start planning in late March to early April. Make sure that your parents/guardian, other family members, and friends know what date you move out so they can make the time in their schedules to help you move out. 

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.