To Grant, or Not, Parental Access to Financial, Medical Info

08.27.21
To Grant, or Not, Parental Access to Financial, Medical Info (Photo: Kelly Sikkema via Unsplash)

DeKalb, ILAs many students go off to college for the first time this year, parents may want to think about how their child makes financial and health decisions without them while away at school.

Students should have a health care power of attorney as part of their grownup life, according to Market Watch. A health care power of attorney is a legal document allowing another individual to make medical decisions about their care if they are unable to do so for themselves.

Since the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) was passed in 1996, everything from the privacy of medical records to college records are restricted.

About 17% of young adults end up in the emergency room each year, according to a CDC study from 2016, the last year for which information is available.

Similarly, students should consider getting a financial power of attorney even though most adults at 18 don’t own very much property. 

“Showing your child that you are taking their transition to adulthood seriously may open up a host of conversations and some mature behavior on their part,” CD Moriarty said in Market Watch. “At least one can hope.”