Coaches Complain About Slow Refund Checks for Athletes

We know slow refund checks isn’t an issue with only HBCUs and athletes, most students have complained about the timeline of applying for aid and receiving the payment. YR asks: Has this been your story?

08.02.22
Coaches Complain About Slow Refund Checks for Athletes (Getty Images)

Jackson State University football coach Deion Sanders said that slow refund checks have been negatively impacting his players and others at HBCUs.

Sanders, a former NFL and MLB legend, addressed Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves in an Instagram post about the issue, noting “we need to get these checks on time to these kids,” according to HBCU Gameday.

“How is it fathomable that our refund checks for our kids are consistently late? But the checks for our administrators are consistently on time?” said Sanders. “I sit with a parent and say I’m going to take care of your child and we’re gonna make sure your child is secure. Yet-and-still, refund checks are consistently late. Now the child calls the parent needing money, and now the parent has to overextend themselves or the child has to go and take out a loan so they can pay their rent on money that they should have.”

His players aren’t the only ones contending with this issue. Grambling State University’s head coach Hue Jackson said he’s dealing with the same thing. 

We know slow refund checks isn’t an issue with only HBCUs and athletes, most students have complained about the timeline of applying for aid and receiving the payment.

YR asks: Has this been your story?