Using Your College Years to Prepare for the Workforce

09.18.23
Using Your College Years to Prepare for the Workforce (Getty Images)

GeorgiaIf you clicked on this article, it is because you either resonate with the title or seek ways to help someone you know as a student. Either way, college students are stressed by keeping up with assignments and demanding obligations expected from young adults working toward earning a higher education. That being said, there are frequent mistakes and steps that I have observed college students take during my current years in school. 

The type of institution a student attends plays a significant role in shaping their future success after graduation. Various factors come into play when determining what can contribute to a student's achievements and what steps they need to take to secure a stable career after completing their studies. 

When students become involved on campus, they develop the necessary skills to obtain high-qualifying jobs. I can speak on behalf of small private universities' impact on students; therefore, the idea that one does not know where an individual goes could not have been more accurate. The first step in getting involved is to write down or record your goals for the school year using whatever recording method and brainstorm the future you want for yourself. Rather than worrying too much about what is probable, start reaching for higher goals that will intimidate you. 

On college campuses, various clubs exist to assist students in discovering a sense of belonging and engaging in a community that extends beyond themselves. By documenting their aspirations and objectives, students can gain a clear vision of their desired achievements and comprehend the underlying motivations that drive their desire to participate in these clubs actively. 

Regarding my experience in school, I have devoted considerable attention to observing students' transition into alums and their subsequent journey after graduation. During this process, I realized that students enrolled at smaller educational institutions tend to focus solely on on-campus activities and overlook the importance of establishing connections outside their immediate environment. Conversely, students at more prominent universities can aspire to prestigious positions, such as the editor-in-chief of a renowned publication, like the University of Georgia newspaper, a public research land grant institution. 

Given the competitive nature of these universities and the presence of highly accomplished students vying for leadership roles, securing prominent positions in student leadership is not only commendable but also instrumental in building an impressive resume and cultivating a well-rounded involvement in various activities.

It may not be as beneficial on a smaller campus to join numerous clubs and hold leadership positions without gaining outside internships or prestigious roles off campus. This is because when applying for well-paying jobs before graduation or even months after receiving the diploma, these experiences may not strongly indicate one's competence. 

Those who were more involved in college were 18% better prepared for the workforce than those who were not active. Students can open their computers to refuse to spend time doing pleasurable activities in their comfort zone and instead search for internships outside of school, reach out to mentors, and take the initiative to seek out opportunities. Thus, thinking outside the box and striving to become involved off campus is essential, too. That way, students can not only live by who they know, not what they know but take it a step further in saying it’s who knows them. 

Ashleigh Ewald (she/her/hers) is a Georgia-based journalist who attends Oglethorpe University. Follow her on IG: @ashleighewaldofficial.