House Passes Anti-Semitism Awareness Act

Many are critical of the act’s potential to infringe on free speech.

05.06.24
House Passes Anti-Semitism Awareness Act (Getty Images)

California; HaywardThe Anti-Semitism Awareness Act, propelled by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers, secured passage in the House with a vote of 320 to 91, highlighting a concerted effort to address rising tensions on college campuses. Spearheaded by Rep. Mike Lawler of New York, the bill garnered support from 15 Democratic co-sponsors but faced resistance from both Republicans and Democrats who raised concerns about potential infringements on free speech. ABC News reported the details surrounding the newly passed act.

At its core, the legislation mandates the Department of Education to adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of antisemitism for enforcing federal anti-discrimination laws. This definition, acknowledging antisemitism as encompassing various forms of hatred and discrimination against Jews, includes provisions addressing the denial of Jewish self-determination and comparisons between Israeli policies and Nazi practices.

However, dissent emerged over the inclusivity of the alliance's definition and its contemporary examples of antisemitism. Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler, himself Jewish, expressed reservations, fearing the bill could skew discourse and suppress constitutionally-protected free speech by favoring one definition of antisemitism.

The backdrop of the bill's passage is the ongoing turmoil on college campuses, particularly regarding protests against Israeli military actions in Gaza. These demonstrations have sparked debates over the distinction between criticism of Israeli policies and genuine antisemitism. While some advocate for divestment from Israeli military operations, others, including Jewish students and officials, perceive such actions as antisemitic and express concerns for their safety.

Amidst largely peaceful protests, sporadic instances of violence have occurred, often involving non-students. Speaker Mike Johnson's recent visit to Columbia University underscored the severity of the situation, prompting calls for the university president's resignation and even suggestions of National Guard intervention.

The political discourse surrounding these events has intensified, with President Joe Biden condemning antisemitic protests while also acknowledging the complexity of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Against this backdrop, the House's approval of the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act signifies a concerted effort to address escalating tensions, reinforced by plans to expand investigations into antisemitism on college campuses and scrutinize federal funding allocations.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.