Texas Judge Rules Against Black Teen’s Hairstyle

The court ruled that The CROWN Act has not been violated based on Texas school policy.

02.26.24
Texas Judge Rules Against Black Teen’s Hairstyle (Darryl George, center, makes a comment during a press conference before a hearing regarding Georges punishment for violating school dress code policy because of his hair style. | Kirk Sides/Houston Chronicle via Getty Images)

California; HaywardA Texas high school was deemed not in violation of the state's CROWN Act by a judge recently, ruling against a Black teen who was disciplined over the length of his dreadlocks. State District Judge Chap Cain III concluded that the Barbers Hill Independent School District's dress and grooming policies did not infringe on the CROWN Act, which prohibits race-based hair discrimination in the state's educational institutions.

The courtroom, filled with supporters of student Darryl George and advocates for natural hair, reacted with sighs and gasps to the decision. Judge Cain asserted that the district's policy did not discriminate against male students sporting braids, locs, or twists, according to NBC.

Following the trial, Candice Matthews, the family's spokesperson, reported that George left with tears in his eyes, questioning the impact on his education due to his hair. The family expressed determination to continue the fight against what they perceived as an unjust ruling.

This marks the latest development in the ongoing conflict between George's family and the Barbers Hill Independent School District. The dispute began in August when George, a junior at the school, faced disciplinary action for his hair violating the district's dress code on hair length.

George and his family argued that the punishment violated the newly implemented CROWN Act in Texas, which the district contested, emphasizing that the law did not address hair length. The case hinged on whether the district's length regulations conflicted with the CROWN Act, with Judge Cain ultimately ruling in favor of the district on Thursday.

The district's representative, Sara Leon, expressed gratitude for the court's clarification, stating that it helps in understanding the legal implications. George's family, however, plans to appeal the decision, believing that the district's grooming code unfairly targets certain hairstyles.

This is not the first time the Barbers Hill Independent School District has faced controversy over its hair policies. In 2020, two students filed lawsuits after being suspended for the length of their dreadlocks. These lawsuits are still pending, with one student returning to the school after a temporary injunction was granted by a judge.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.