Students Marched for Abortion Rights in Chicago

DePaul University students rallied to Chicago's federal courthouse to call for women's rights legislation.

03.18.22
Students Marched for Abortion Rights in Chicago (Tiffany Payton for YR Media)

ChicagoActivists recently marched in downtown Chicago for abortion rights. 

Three women dressed in “The Handmaid’s Tale” inspired attire led the “Rise up 4 Abortion Rights” demonstration that started at DePaul University’s Loop campus and continued for several blocks tothe federal courthouse. The national organization uplifts and advocates for the rights of women through social media.

Covered in green bandanas, a symbol chosen by the feminist movement throughout Latin America, protestors chanted “I’m not your incubator.”

Jay Becker, a member of Refuse Facism Chicago, discussed the importance of the march and handmaid costume during the protest. 

“The Handmaid's Tale costumes are to visualize the world they want us to have,” said Becker. 

Abortion right rally in Chicago. Tiffany Payton for YR Media

Becker and others dropped off symbolic indictments at the Federal Court.

“It's such an appropriate building to have this protest she [Amy Coney Barrett] was at, and most people don't even know that. So that's why we went there,” said Becker. 

Justice Barrett, who has a controversial opinion about abortion, served as a appellate court judge.

“There were big organizations with money and national reach missing from the demonstrations. Those organizations have done nothing and that is criminal,” said Becker. 

Recently the Texas Supreme Court moved forward with Senate Bill 4 abortion law that bans any person "from providing an abortion‑inducing drug to a pregnant woman without satisfying the applicable informed consent requirements for abortions.”

“It’s violence against women from the highest court,” said Becker. “They want to turn us into incubators, where they literally talk about women's bodies as the host body, you can find videos of white men discussing the host body.”

DePaul freshman Laura Stream also participated in the rally. 

“It was really impactful to watch and see unfold,” Stream said. “I know there was some backlash from people who didn’t agree with what we were doing, but they just said comments.”
For more information, go to: https://riseup4abortionrights.org.