Domain Trolling is Attracting Gen Z Voters

Check out how progressive Gen Z groups are enabling young voices.

02.15.24
Domain Trolling is Attracting Gen Z Voters (Getty Images)

California; HaywardIn the last five years, Gen Z has come of voting age and they tend to be disillusioned with traditional political structures and parties, and are skeptical of mainstream politics. About eight million Gen Z are eligible to vote this year and of that number, 47% are BIPOC. YR Media’s “Control Z: #Vote2024” series examines the impact the young generation will have this election season and how more Gen Z candidates are looking to have a seat at the table.

A progressive Gen-Z-led group called Voters for Tomorrow has taken a unique approach to influence young voters, according to WIRED. Frustrated by what they perceive as a lack of Republican outreach to young people, the group has strategically purchased domain names associated with key Republican primary candidates.

Jessica Siles, deputy press secretary for Voters for Tomorrow, explained their motivation. 

"Republicans are not investing in outreach to young people, and we know why," she said

According to Siles, the GOP's positions on issues such as abortion rights, guns and climate change are widely unpopular among Gen Z. In response, the group acquired domain names like GenZforTrump.org and GenZforHaley.org. However, instead of promoting Democratic candidates explicitly, these domains redirect users to GenZvsFarRight.org, a site highlighting what the group considers the GOP's disconnect with young voters.

To maximize their impact, Voters for Tomorrow plans a digital ad campaign across Instagram and Snapchat, targeting battleground states where they believe the youth vote could sway in favor of Democrats. Their ads emphasize the significance of Gen Z in determining the next president and direct users to the aforementioned websites for information on Trump and Haley. The campaign aims to reach at least half a million users in states like Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Arizona and Florida.

Domain trolling, a tactic involving the acquisition of URLs related to opposing candidates, has gained popularity in recent years. In 2015, Senator Ted Cruz and Carly Fiorina experienced domain trolling during their GOP presidential campaigns. The group justifies its actions by asserting that the lack of investment in young voter outreach by GOP candidates led to the acquisition of these domains.

Voters for Tomorrow believes that their initiative can influence voter sentiment, particularly among Gen Z. Jack Lobel, the group's 19-year-old national press secretary, expressed their conviction that "Trump is the greatest threat to our generation." The group emphasizes the unprecedented stakes of the 2024 election and sees its project as crucial in shaping the narrative among young voters.

Despite the success of youth voter turnout in 2020, a Harvard Kennedy School poll suggests a decline in enthusiasm among young voters for the 2024 election. This demographic's distrust in both Biden and Trump on critical issues could impact their willingness to vote. With around 41 million eligible Gen Z voters in 2024, efforts to engage this demographic could play a pivotal role in determining the next president.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.