Content in partnership with True Star

Dr. DJ Tillman Raises the Bar for Chicago Teens

06.04.24
Dr. DJ Tillman Raises the Bar for Chicago Teens (True Star Media)

Dr. Dorothy Jean “DJ” Tillman II is just the latest example of what it means to truly BE Black excellence. The 18-year-old Chicago native received her associate’s degree at 10, her bachelor’s degree at 12, and has just earned her Doctorate from Arizona State University, where she studied integrated behavioral health. For her dissertation, she explored the stigma that prevents university students from getting mental health treatment. She made history as the youngest person to do so, at the grand age of 17. 

Last month, she was even recognized at City Hall for her accomplishments as well as her contribution to science, technology, engineering, arts, and math. In addition to her rigorous studies, Tillman gives back to her community in the form of her own service project: Dorothy Jeanius STEAM Leadership Institute. Representing STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), yet integrating art, represents the essence of Tillman’s vision for her organization. 

Tillman points her inspiration to a trip to South Africa with her mother, where she met girls that shared the same interests as her in STEM and arts programs. She took her interactions as an opportunity to bridge the gap. “We were talking about how there are a lot of creative aspects that go into STEM and how we wish that the fun of creativity could be like a part of that, and talking to them about that kind of inspired me to create my name.” Talk about a visionary!

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.