Eco-friendly Practices for a Green Holiday Season

Exploring eco-friendly practices that can help make your holiday season more sustainable, and green.

12.14.23
Eco-friendly Practices for a Green Holiday Season (Getty Images)

New York City, NYAmidst celebrating the holiday season with loved ones, exchanging gifts and indulging in festive traditions, it is important to consider the environmental impact of these celebrations. 

Here are four different ways to enjoy the holidays while also staying sustainable, and green. 

Green Gift Giving 

Choose presents with a purpose and purchase sustainable gifts crafted from recycled or upcycled materials by local businesses and artisans. You can also wrap gifts in recycled paper or reusable fabric for an added eco-friendly touch.

@restyleliving Eco Friendly Gift Wrapping Ideas #christmasdecor #ecochristmas #ecoholiday #sustainable #nowaste #holidayvibes #ecogiftwrapping #christmasgiftideas #giftwrappinghacks ♬ Christmas Hip Hop - Tini Mc

Green Traveling

If you have to travel far for the holidays, consider utilizing public transportation, carpooling with family and friends, or other green travel alternatives. Make your journey back home as eco-friendly as possible. 

Sustainable Decorations 

Turn your space into a winter wonderland by using nature-inspired decorations such as LED lights that save energy and also provide a warm glow. Create DIY decorations using recycled materials or natural options like pine cones and branches.

@duyguturgok I make these decorations every year because it so easy and eco-friendly! #christmas2022 #holidaydecor #zerowaste #sustainability #crafttok ♬ Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin' Stevens

Mindful Feasts 

Ensure your holiday feasts are locally sourced and contain organic ingredients to have an eco-friendly meal. For those family members and friends who are known to take home places every holiday season, encourage them to bring reusable containers or provide them as an option.

Kailyn Rhone, (she/her) is from Florida, but is an NYC-based journalist covering education, technology and culture. Follow her on X: @onlykailyn.