Election Night Reaction: Twitter Goes Off

11.07.18
Election Night Reaction: Twitter Goes Off (Photo by Luke Stackpoole on Unsplash)

All over the United States, voters turned out Tuesday, November 6th for the 2018 midterm elections.

While the results are still trickling in, it has already become clear that this election was one for the history books in terms of candidate diversity. Additionally, voter turnout rates among young people (defined as 18- to 29-year-olds) were projected to be record-shattering.

Now the polls have closed, many of the results have been projected, and social media is ablaze with early thoughts and reactions coming from either side of the political aisle.

Much of the attention went to rising-star Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke and his loss to incumbent Texas Senator Ted Cruz:

And the Florida gubernatorial race between Republican Ron DeSantis and Democratic challenger Andrew Gillum stirred up some serious online discussion:

Several prominent young voters have weighed in, including a few of the survivors of the mass shooting at Parkland High School, in Florida...

And more than a few celebrities:

And as expected, there are already plenty of election-inspired memes:

At the end of the night, countless users celebrated the diversification of American politics: