Climate Orgs Get Financial Boost from Rihanna

The money, $15 million, will support initiatives of the Climate Justice Alliance, Indigenous Environmental Network and Movement for Black Lives, among others.

02.03.22
Climate Orgs Get Financial Boost from Rihanna (Randy Brooks/AFP via Getty Images)

ChicagoSinger Rihanna recently steered $15 million toward many climate organizations across the U.S. and Caribbean nations. 

The contributions will benefit 18 organizations, many of which are led by Black advocates, women’s rights groups and Indigenous communities. The money will support initiatives of the Climate Justice Alliance, Indigenous Environmental Network and Movement for Black Lives, among others, according to Blavity.

"Climate disasters, which are growing in frequency and intensity, do not impact all communities equally, with communities of color and island nations facing the brunt of climate change,” Rihanna’s Clara Lionel Foundation said in a statement.

"These grants support entities focused on and led by women, youth, Black, Indigenous, people of color and LGBTQIA+ communities," the foundation added. "We invite others to join us in elevating, funding and supporting these groups and others who are on the frontlines of the climate justice movement."

Rihanna was named an ambassador for Barbados in 2018 and honored as a “national hero” in November.

"May you continue to shine like a diamond and bring honor to your nation by your works, by your actions, and to do credit where you shall go. God bless you, my dear,"  Barbadian Prime Minister Mia Mottley said about the singer and soon-to-be mother.