Sustainability Tips I’m Sticking To This Year

Switching from bottle shampoo to bar shampoo, shopping more at the farmers market and cooking more are a few changes I've made.

01.12.23
Sustainability Tips I’m Sticking To This Year (Shelley Pauls via Unsplash)

Los AngelesI started my journey to becoming more eco-friendly about three years ago. I started off by doing things such as recycling and even using reusable bags. These are great steps and habits to build that help towards the bigger picture, eliminating waste. 

However, this year I want to take it up a notch. These are a few ways I plan on eliminating more waste.

I love my hair products dearly, however having a counter full of products can be exhausting. I started using a shampoo and conditioner bar which actually work well for my hair. I picked both from Sprouts but they also can be found on Amazon. The bar lasts a lot longer than bottles and also the best part is it has no plastic usage! According to Sprouts, “each bar can replace 2-5 plastic bottles of shampoo or conditioner.” 

I am also replacing my soaps with bar soaps to eliminate the bottle from body washes. 

When eating out or even ordering food, a lot of plastic waste can be involved. I was given a silverware kit for Christmas that includes a fork, knife, spoon, two straws and a pair of chopsticks. It has easily become one of my favorite gifts as it’s perfect for traveling. The packaging is small and is the perfect fit for a backpack and a purse. It will allow me to cut down on the amount of disposable silverware I throw away.

Speaking of eating out, it is my goal to start cooking more. A few months ago I started doing the bulk of my shopping at my local farmers market. I love that I am able to support small and local farmers while also getting groceries without the extra plastic waste. Plus, it is more affordable. I also map out my snacks and meals week-by-week which helps to eliminate food waste. Another tip is to write down or take a mental note of what you already have so you don't purchase the same thing twice.

I love a good sale, and I would normally buy things just because it had a red clearance sticker on it. Now, if I don’t need it or wouldn’t buy it if it weren't on sale I don't buy it. Sale items usually end up in a corner of my cabinet full of things that I usually forget about, AKA, waste. 

While these may be small changes to some, my journey is about making small changes gradually so they stick. I know if I change up everything at one time, I will become overwhelmed and not stick to the plan. The most important thing when making transitions is to use what you have then make the switch.