FAFSA Has Changed. Here’s What To Expect.

There are six key changes to the FAFSA application.

01.02.24

ChicagoYou’re probably aware that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) had been delayed. This program, which helps aid students paying for college through loans and other grants, usually opens in October and there are some major changes. 

What exactly are these changes? 

It’s Shorter

The old form had over 100 questions, and now it will have less than 50. Two old questions, which have raised controversy in the past, won’t be included: requiring students to register for the Selective Service; as well as asking about drug related convictions (which previously disqualified students from getting aid).

All Contributors Will Need FSA IDs

Now all contributors will need an individual FSA ID, including multiple parents or spouses. 

Family Information May Change

The first change is that students with siblings also in college will no longer receive any additional aid (unless a college wishes to adjust their offer). The second is that students with divorced or separated families now have aid determined by the parent who “provides the most financial support,” instead of who the student mostly lives with. 

Tax Info Will Come Directly From The IRS

Contributors must agree to have their tax information be directly sent from the IRS. This will make it easier for students and parents, as they won’t have to dig up old tax documents and fill in the information themselves. 

More Access To Federal Pell Grants

The Student Aid Index (SAI) will replace Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which are both formulas that calculate how much aid each student needs. With the new SAI, there will be an increase in students who can receive Federal Pell Grants. 

Colleges Won’t Get Information Until January

Because of FAFSA being delayed by several months, colleges likely won’t receive financial information until late January. This means that incoming college students will have less time before decision day to decide on colleges. 

You can find more information at the Federal Student Aid website.