Content in partnership with KCBS

Feeling Safe Is My Top Priority This School Year 

08.23.15
Empty for the moment Everyone is anxious about their first day of school but as a junior I’m not as concerned. I’m more worried about my little brother staying safe as he starts high school. On day one, most students think about their next teacher, what they’ll wear, but most don’t worry about their safety. My freshman year was tough. I thought I wasn’t going to make friends. I didn’t know what GPA was but I quickly learned what a lockdown was. I want to make sure my brother has a head start on how to do well in school and stay safe. I told him to choose his friends wisely because some friends could get you in trouble. But even with good friends, you have to watch out for your surroundings. My brother and I both know someone who got shot and killed just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. We’ll be attending different high schools so this will be the first time we’re far apart. What concerns me the most is that I won’t be able to watch out for him.