Essentials for Your First Apartment

05.26.23
Essentials for Your First Apartment (Getty Images)

BaltimoreMoving into an apartment can bring on a wave of emotions, but having a list of what you need can start to alleviate some stress. When I was preparing to move I also started to collect some small items like disinfectant wipes, detergent, towels, sheets, etc. in a tub. This helped me to not need everything at one time. However, these are a few items that made my move and stay so much easier in your new home!

Toolkit!

Having a toolkit was never on my radar, however I quickly realized that I at least needed the basics. It seemed like suddenly a screwdriver was needed for everything! I love this toolkit because it is small, has the basics and is the perfect storage size. 

Bag for the Grocery Bags 

If you know about the grocery bag drawer under the sink then you know just how hectic it can be. While I recommend using reusable bags when going to the grocery store, if you forget or do not use them then you know how easy the grocery bags can fill up an area. This bag keeps them all in one place and out the way. 

Who’s There??

Knowing who is knocking on your door is so important, especially when living alone. I love the Ring because you can see who is at your door from your phone. It also lets you know any other activity around your door which can give an extra sense of security.  

Pasta Saver

If only I could explain how shaky my hands get when trying to strain pasta from a pot. This gadget has made my life easier, and I have saved so many pieces of pasta from falling down my drain. It is also adjustable which makes it easy for it to fit on just about any pot. 

So Fresh and So Clean!

I live by this Swiffer, it combines a map and a vacuum so you only have to buy one. It picks up literally everything which makes it so easy to maintain my living space. It charges quickly and stays charged for a while. It also is compact and easy to store away. 

These are just a few items that have made my life easier when I moved into my first apartment that I did not see on other lists. As you settle in you will find things that you will want and need for convenience. Best of luck!