How to Nail Your First Job Negotiation

Need tips on mastering your first job offer with confidence and savvy? We’ve got you!

11.29.23
How to Nail Your First Job Negotiation (Getty Images)

New York City, NYGen Z is stepping into the professional world with a unique set of skills and a determination to make a lasting impact. As Gen Z, negotiating your first job can be exhilarating yet challenging as mastering negotiation is not just a skill learned overnight.  

So, how does Gen Z seize the opportunity and confidently secure the best deal for them? Let's uncover how to successfully negotiate your first job in five steps.

Know Yourself, Know Your Worth

Research industry standards and salary ranges for the desired position, especially with the company’s competitors. If you have other job offers that offer more or better benefits, you can use that as leverage when negotiating your contract.

Get advice from Mentors or Trusted Company Employees 

Seek advice from mentors who have experience in the industry or employers at the company whom you highly trust on their job salaries and benefits. Their insights and tips can provide you with negotiation strategies and insights into the industry or company expectations. 

Build a Strong Social Presence Online

Ensure your LinkedIn profile and other professional sites highlight your skills, projects, and endorsements from former professors or work peers as the power of digital presence is everything. If you have a high following on a social media platform, use it as leverage to show your insight is highly valuable and you can bring a new audience to the company. 

Highlight Achievements and Skills

During the negotiation, make sure to confidently showcase your academic accomplishments, relevant course projects, and any internships that highlight your skills. This will reiterate to the employers some subjects that they have missed or forgotten about. 

Negotiate Beyond Salary

Compensation isn’t limited to salary alone. Other benefits such as paid vacation days, flexible work hours, potential bonuses and professional development opportunities, such as a higher level degree, should also all be considered. Carefully choose which benefits are most important to you and your career. 

Kailyn Rhone, (she/her) is from Florida, but is an NYC-based journalist covering education, technology and culture. Follow her on X: @onlykailyn.