Florida Teen Wins Google Doodle Contest

The doodle, depicting a young girl and an older woman hugging, was meant to send an important message: self-care includes leaning on your support system.

08.18.22
Florida Teen Wins Google Doodle Contest (Sophie Araque-Liu)

A Florida High Schooler’s mother inspired artwork that won the 2022 Doodle for Google competition. 

Sophie Araque-Liu’s artwork, titled Not Alone – which was featured on Google’s homepage for a day – reflects the support, comfort and encouragement her mother gave her that helped see her navigate the loneliness of the pandemic, according to Cnet.com

The doodle, depicting a young girl and an older woman hugging, was meant to send an important message: self-care includes leaning on your support system, Araque-Liu said in a description of the artwork’s theme. 

“I care for myself by accepting others’ care for me,” she said. “Often, I struggle to shoulder a burden on my own, and forget that I have so many people, like my mom, who care about me and want to help me. Opening up and letting others support me not only relieves my stress – it also lets me tackle things I could never do on my own.”

The artwork won her a $30,000 college scholarship, as well as a $50,000 technology award for her school. Additionally, her Doodle is included in a gallery of artwork for all the state winners chosen from submissions made by K-12 students in the US, Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.