How to Celebrate Galentine’s Day with Your Girlfriends

There are only two rules to Galentine’s Day:  Ditch your boo and grab your girls!

02.12.24
How to Celebrate Galentine’s Day with Your Girlfriends (Getty Images)

AtlantaFebruary has been coined as the month of love and affection, especially on the 14th. The Valentine's Day decorations go up as soon as the Christmas decorations come down! (You literally can’t go into a store without roses and candy being shoved in your face) But how do we show our love to the special ladies in our lives? By celebrating Galentine’s Day!

You may ask, “What is that? Where did Galentine's Day come from?” Galentine's Day was first graced upon us in February 2010 during an episode of the hit satire, “Parks and Recreation.” In the episode, Amy Poehler's personality, Leslie Knope, describes it as: 

Galentine's Day is set every year on Feb. 13, the day before Valentine's Day. The ways of spending the holiday are endless! Some friend groups can decide to get into the true spirit of Leslie Knope, stick to the roots of the “tradition” and go out to early lunch like in the episode of "Parks and Recreation." Others can follow these ideas!

Pro Tip:  You do not have to spend a ton of money hosting a Galentine’s Day! You can find steals in stores like Walmart or Dollar Tree. Make sure to stay true to the theme and decorate with pink, red white and ALL things heart-shaped!

@jocelynruvalcabaa So many cute Vday items at @Dollar Tree 🥰 #galentinesday #galentinesparty #dollortree #dollartreefinds #valentinesday ♬ american boy - ༺ 00s throwbacks ༻

Spa Themed Slumber Party

Having a self-care spa day is truly the solution for anything. But it’s even more fun doing it with your girlfriends! Make it a point to dress in your comfiest robes, grab cucumber slices for your eyelids, and give each other mani-pedis. It is the perfect way to make up for lost time and have a girl chat!

@sweeteethebrand #atlanta #jejusauna #jejusaunaspa #viral #fyp #foryou #foryoupage #calming #soothing #soothingvoice #relax #spa #selfcare #selflove #mentalhealth #blacktiktok #blackgirltiktok #blackgirlluxury #blackgirl ♬ loft mode - Official Sound Studio

Host a Tea Party

Have a casual tea party if you are searching for something more slow-paced and classy. Grab a few muffins from a neighborhood bakery or make little finger sandwiches for your visitors to snack on.  Allow everyone to pick blank mugs or coasters, and make it a point to decorate them using paint and stickers!

Make Dinner

If brunch isn't on the plan for Galentine's Day this year, consider getting together and cooking dinner as a group. Assuming someone in the gathering is a magnificent cook, get together at their home for a more calm setting. If no one in the group can cook, just grab a pizza and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to spruce it up!  You can never go wrong with playing into the theme. 

Make Cocktails

Is this a judgment-free zone? The girly cocktails may be my favorite part of the night! Ask each guest to create their version of a Galentine’s theme cocktail and rank them on taste, appearance and effort! I have personally used edible glitter and cotton candy in my cocktails! Delicious!

@drinkswithdanica I am NOT one to rush into the next holiday/season. You won’t see me posting pumpkin recipes before the first day of fall, and Christmas starts after Thanksgiving in this house 🙋🏻‍♀️ But I had SO many ideas for Valentine’s Day - both cocktails and mocktails - that I’m going to start sharing those drinks tomorrow. I figure that’s ok since we’re in this weird winter limbo time right now ☺️ So get ready for all this AND MORE starting tomorrow! Which Valentine’s Day drink in this video are you most excited for?! #valentinesday #vday #love #cocktails #drinks #cocktailrecipes #galentinesday #partyideas #drinksathome #fyp ♬ original sound - kardashianshulu

Bake Treats

Nothing says “I love you” like dessert! Another simple way to enjoy your girls' night is to bake sweets. Go ahead and brighten the day for your friends by making something filled with chocolate and topped with confectioner sugar! 

Write Love Letters to Each Other

The point of Galentine’s Day is to shower the women in your life with love and compassion. What other way to do that than with words of affirmation? Now would be a great time to let your friends know what you admire most about them. 

By the end of the night, you should feel overwhelmed with joy and a sense of woman empowerment! Happy Galentine’s Day, ladies! 

Jeydah Jenkins (she/her) is from Newark, NJ, but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers the arts and culture. Follow her on Instagram and TikTok: @JeydahFromJersey.