What’s Behind Why Gen Z Rejects Job Offers?

The deal-breakers ranged widely, from not wanting to work at a place with a “high ratio of white cis men,” with overtime expectations, “having [professional] cleaners,” to avoiding employers with rigid dress codes.

10.02.23
What’s Behind Why Gen Z Rejects Job Offers? (Getty Images)

Recently, some Gen Z shared their deal-breakers when accepting or rejecting a job. 

Their deal-breakers ranged widely, from not wanting to work at a place with a “high ratio of white cis men,” with overtime expectations, “having [professional] cleaners,” to avoiding employers with rigid dress codes, opportunity with the New York Post.

However, many Gen Z share a common desire — the flexibility to work from home. One person noted they couldn’t work at a job that required them to report to the office five days in a week. Another told the Post they wouldn’t accept a job where “set days” were required in office. Another person interviewed by the Post said they wouldn’t accept a job offer if they weren’t able to travel and continue working as expected. One interviewee said she couldn’t accept a job unless her “line manager” passed her vibe test. 

While some older generations might think these deal-breakers reflect Gen Z’s sense of entitlement, Ben Thompson, founder and CEO of Employment Hero, told the Post that isn’t the case.

“There is a greater desire for flexibility, putting more boundaries between work and life and shifting the mindset from living to work to working to live,” he said. “This shift is not to be mistaken for entitlement. COVID-19 taught us that young people can be more selective about where and how they want to work, re-evaluating their priorities and working in a way that best suits their lives.”

What they prioritize is forcing employers to adjust their work environments to meet their needs, he added. 

“It needs to be a priority to attract and retain the best productive and engaged talent,” he advised.

Noah Johnson (he/him/his) is a Chicago-based journalist. Follow him on Twitter: @noahwritestoo.