Gen Z’s Bringing Parents to Job Interviews???

For those attending in-person interviews, 37% reported having a parent come into the office with them, and 26% said a parent was physically present in the interview room.

06.24.24
Gen Z’s Bringing Parents to Job Interviews??? (Getty Images)

It’s not unusual for young people to ask for guidance from their parents regarding big decisions, but Gen Z seeking employment are quite literally bringing their parents with them to job interviews.

According to WGN News, some Gen Z job seekers involve their parents in the job interview. Based on a survey from Resume Templates, 26% of Gen Z respondents enlist their parents’ help during interviews. Of these, 31% have a parent accompany them to in-person interviews, and 29% include their parents in virtual interviews.

For those attending in-person interviews, 37% reported having a parent come into the office with them, and 26% said a parent was physically present in the interview room. In virtual interviews, 71% of respondents said their parent was off-camera, while 29% admitted their parent was visible on-screen.

Interestingly, when parents were visible during virtual interviews, most spoke directly to the hiring manager. This level of parental involvement raises questions about its appropriateness in the professional context.

Executive resume writer Andrew Stoner shared his insights on the trend with Resume Templates. 

“It’s understandable, parents wanting to ensure that their child does well in an interview or that an employer is reputable. Conversely, it’s hard to see where a parent being directly involved in an interview is appropriate. It does not signal confidence to a hiring company on behalf of the child.” Stoner recommended a “help at a distance” approach, where parents provide support and advice during the recruiting process without being directly involved in the interviews.

The survey highlights a significant shift in the traditional job interview dynamic, with a substantial number of Gen Z candidates seeking parental support. While this may reflect parental concern for their children’s success and well-being, it poses a challenge in terms of the perceived confidence and independence of the job applicants. The involvement of parents in interviews can potentially undermine the employer’s perception of the candidate’s self-reliance and capability.

Overall, the findings suggest a need for a balanced approach where parents support their children from a distance, allowing them to navigate the job interview process independently, thereby fostering their confidence and professionalism.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Corona, CA who covers culture and entertainment.