Gen Z: Staying In Comfort Zone VS. FOMO

Young people are increasingly choosing to stay within a comfort zone of small networks, like-minded people, with a lot of social activity done virtually.

08.30.22
Gen Z: Staying In Comfort Zone VS. FOMO (Priscilla Du Preez via Unsplash)

ChicagoTherapists say Gen Z could miss out on many experiences due to their overly cautious attitude to taking risks. 

According to experts who spoke to The Guardian, young people are increasingly choosing to stay within a comfort zone of small networks, like-minded people, with a lot of social activity done virtually. While this gives them more control over certain parts of their lives, it also can result in anxiety when they have to interact with people offline. 

“I’m seeing a disproportionate increase in referrals for social anxiety, professional anxiety, general self-confidence and relationship issues for this generation when they are confronted with the reality of being in an office, being in a nightclub, being in a pub, or being on a date,” said Natalie Phillips, a psychotherapist who works with young people. “I do have the sense that this generation is possibly missing out on making mistakes and the sense of being young. I think they're quite old before their time.”

Many who she works with also are working from home and interacting with colleagues online, which makes it harder for them to meet new people than compared to previous generations. To Phillips, that can be dangerous.

“There’s a danger that your world becomes in-ward looking, and that can then cause self-perpetuating anxiety. The outside world is much more scary because you haven’t got the experience to deal with it,” she added.