Content in partnership with Talker

Most Gen Z Prefer Drinking at Home Than Going Out

Most young adults also prefer to drink with their friends than their partner.

02.02.24
Most Gen Z Prefer Drinking at Home Than Going Out (Getty Images)

Could drinking at home become the new going out? Recent research indicates that six in 10 (66%) Gen Z wine enthusiasts opt for the comfort of their homes when it comes to drinking.

A survey conducted among 2,000 U.S. adults aged 21–26 found that of those who enjoy wine, only 23% would choose a bar setting, and 18% would opt for an event.

Rather, for Gen Z wine enthusiasts, having a glass is an opportunity to be social, as hanging out with friends (64%) topped the list of activities they prefer to partake in while drinking, while 46% enjoy a glass on a date.

Results also showed that those who drink wine would prefer to drink with friends (72%), above their partner (49%).

On their own, 46% of those who enjoy wine also enjoy a nice drink with their meal compared to just 37% of respondents who have a different alcohol preference.

What inspires Gen Z to raise a glass? Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Unshackled Wines, the survey found that nearly half (48%) of those who drink wine do so for the sheer joy of having fun, while 47% drink wine to relax and unwind.

While much of Gen Z enjoys sipping a glass of wine, some prefer to reach for other options.

When asked why they don’t drink wine, don’t like the taste was the top reason (27%), while others reported finding wine menus (15%) or tasting notes (13%) to be confusing or intimidating.

Originally published by Talker News