Gen Z’s Growing Fear of Flying

Gen Z is afraid of air travel. Are they right?

03.25.24
Gen Z’s Growing Fear of Flying (Getty Images)

CaliforniaIn 2023, we saw the safest years for commercial air travel. According to a report from the International Air Transport Association (IATA), that same year saw no fatal accidents or hull losses for jet aircraft.

Despite this, recent air safety incidents have been making headlines, especially concerning the issues with several Boeing aircraft in previous weeks, raising concerns among Americans. The most concerned demographic? Gen Z. 

A Fast Company-Harris Poll revealed that 43% of Americans are more wary of flying due to recent incidents, with Gen Z showing particular nervousness and skepticism about air travel safety. 

The poll stated that 67% of Gen Z said traveling by air makes them nervous, compared to 59% of all poll respondents. 

However, Gen Z also indicated the least awareness of recent headlining incidents such as the Alaska Airlines door panel and the Tokyo runway collision. Thirty-five percent of Gen Z reported not being aware of any of those incidents, compared to 24% of respondents in general. 

So does that mean that Gen Z’s concerns about air safety are unfounded? After all, while the internet can help inform passengers about possible dangers, it can also put unnecessary attention on tragedies that rarely happen. 

The kind of media we consume can partly be to blame. A channel majorly dedicated to aircraft incidents called @TheFlightChannel on YouTube sits at 1.48 million subscribers and creates videos that garner millions of views. Documentaries like “Mayday: Air Disaster” dramatize flight-related disasters and are extremely popular. Without a doubt, people love to watch bad news.

While it’s understandable to want to feel informed in times of anxiety, it’s also crucial to keep things in perspective. By staying informed, prepared, and focused on the facts, it gets easier to navigate air travel with confidence and peace of mind. 

Knives Nguyen (they/them), is a journalist from the Bay Area who covers entertainment, culture and student life. You can connect with them on LinkedIn: @knivesnguyen.