Gen Z Craves Mentorship in the Workplace

Gen Z is struggling to find mentors, according to career experts.

10.30.23
Gen Z Craves Mentorship in the Workplace (Getty Images)

More Gen Z report that having a mentor at work is “crucial for their career,” according to a survey by Springtide Research Institute via The 74th News.

As many have reported feelings of burnout compared to all other generations, they find it essential to have a mentor to help guide them through workplace issues, like Morgan Sanner. 

“Mentorship is critical for those just entering the workplace, they can often serve as a compass to your new employer, helping you understand the unwritten rules and expectations,” said the 26-year-old, a resume writer from Columbus, Ohio. “Mentors can help you navigate the company culture.”

Studies show that it is more difficult for women and POC to find mentors, especially in organizations where there are lower numbers of those groups, Sanner added.

Around 82% of Gen Z report “it’s important their supervisor helps them set performance goals; and 83% say they want their supervisor to care about their life,” according to Springtide Research Institute’s survey. 

Robert Kim, a Alumni Career Education manager at The University of British Columbia, encourages young professionals to “make the first move” ask a person they admire at work for “Zoomfee” chat, which is having coffee over Zoom chat.

“The reach out can be the hardest part especially if you’re not bumping into people at work,” said Kim in a post. “Ask for a Zoomfee chat and don’t take silence or rejection personally. Keep on asking others. Self-advocacy is a learned skill.”

Reaching out to a colleague a few years ahead and forming a network of mentors are a few yet impact tips for young professionals when searching for a mentor, according to Harvard Business Review

“It takes time to build these connections and feel certain that these colleagues, peers, friends, etc. are capable mentors,” said Angela Richard, a assistant director of career education at Boston University in a post. “Don’t feel like you need to rush the process, and remember that mentor-mentee relationships are unique, are not one-size-fits-all, and ebb and flow throughout your professional life.”

Kailyn Rhone, (she/her) is from Florida, but is an NYC-based journalist covering education, technology and culture. Follow her on Twitter @onlykailyn. 

Edited by Nykeya Woods.