Gen Z, Millennials Removing College from Their Budgets

Over the last few years, there have been more attractive jobs available that don’t require degrees, and Gen Z has paid attention. And some are taking the self-taught route.

05.20.24
Gen Z, Millennials Removing College from Their Budgets (Getty Images)

A tight job market, rising living costs and lower than expected wage amounts, some Gen Z and Millennials are reevaluating their budgets and college costs are getting cut.

A recent survey from Deloitte indicated that getting a degree is being put on the back burner and tuition costs are being crossed out, according to Business Insider.

About a third of the younger generation is looking for careers that don’t require a degree as several factors are keeping them from pursuing higher education, including family dynamics and financial difficulties. 

“Cost of living is their top societal concern. The financial constraints of higher education are the number one reason that Gen Zs and millennials are not pursuing it,” said Deloitte Global Chief People & Purpose Officer Elizabeth Faber.