Gen Z Prioritizes Pet Needs Above the Rest

05.18.23
Gen Z Prioritizes Pet Needs Above the Rest (Getty Images)

California; HaywardIt is no doubt that pets have been a huge part of people’s lives, especially since the pandemic. It may just be the catalyst behind the revelation from a recent study regarding Gen Z’s view on pets and housing.

A recent survey by Zillow, conducted online by The Harris Poll, reveals that Gen Z adults are more likely to prioritize their pets' needs over their partners and future children when buying a home. The study found that 60% of Gen Z adults consider certain pet-friendly features to be essential when purchasing a home. Nearly half of them (48%) feel that a fenced backyard is a must-have, compared to 28% who believe that a double sink in the primary bathroom is essential and 35% who consider a home office for their partner to be a must-have feature. In contrast, only 24% of Gen Z adults consider a playroom to be essential for their kids, and just 11% would prioritize an outdoor playset.

In terms of choosing between a pet-friendly home and a kid-friendly one, 55% of Gen Z pet owners said that it is more important to have a home that accommodates their furry friend than one that caters to their children. The study also reveals that 22% of Gen Z pet owners would consider moving out of their current home if it was no longer ideal for their pet, while only 12% would do the same if it no longer worked for their partner.

These statistics are proving a shift in demands from young folks who are buying properties. Spring home shoppers can expect more competition for homes with pet-friendly features, even in a less frenzied housing market. Listings that mention a fenced backyard can sell nearly three days faster than similar homes, according to Zillow's research. With fewer new listings hitting the market, pet owners will need to act quickly to secure a well-priced home with these desirable features

With the four-legged companions becoming a huge factor in what kind of home is right for young families, it is no surprise that there are more desirable properties than others.