Content in partnership with KCBS

Getting A Social Security Number

01.06.14
Getting A Social Security Number
Before six months ago, the only job that I could get paid me less than minimum wage. But now, I get paid more, plus commission and benefits. What changed? A nine-digit number.

My family friends used to tell me I was wasting time in college because I wouldn’t be able to get a job due to my undocumented status. That all changed when my DACA application was approved.

DACA or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals is legislation that allows immigrant youth to acquire a work permit and a social security number for two years.

I could finally drive without worrying about getting stopped by the police, and being asked for my non-existent I.D.

Still, DACA does not provide a path to citizenship. This status is supposed be renewable, but I have no idea what that process will look like.

I finally feel more accepted and integrated because of these opportunities. For the next two years I am equal to everyone else. But by signing myself up for this opportunity I also set a potential time limit on my new lifestyle.