Atlanta School Named after KKK Member Renamed to Honor Black Athlete

11.02.21
Atlanta School Named after KKK Member Renamed to Honor Black Athlete (Photo: Courtesy of Jackie Gwin)

AtlantaA school in Atlanta was renamed to honor the late Hall of Fame baseball player Henry Louis Aaron, also known as “Hank” Aaron.

Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron New Beginnings Academy was previously named Forrest Hills Academy after Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate general and an activist for the Ku Klux Klan. 

Students and faculty voiced their anger with the school’s name which led to a unanimous decision among the committee to make a change. 

“What Hank Aaron represents for Atlanta Public Schools at this moment is perseverance, courage in the face of adversity, bravery, strength, and giving it your all. We now give our scholars a chance at a new beginning,” said Dr. Zawadaski Robinson, principal. 

The posthumous honor was accepted earlier this year by Aaron’s wife, Billye Aaron, who was flanked by family, friends and the Atlanta Braves organization.