White House Outlines Support for HBCUs

09.07.21
White House Outlines Support for HBCUs (Photo: Illustration by Rafael Henrique/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

The White House’s support on several levels for Historically Black Colleges and Universities was detailed Friday in an executive order.

The order seeks to grant HBCUs more access to federal funding, recommends fostering public-private partnerships to create academic research centers on campuses and urges increasing the availability of information on HBCUs for prospective students, according to Axios

It also aims to create a pipeline for students interested in attending HBCUs by working with elementary and secondary school providers, addressing college affordability and creating a recognition program for high-achieving HBCU students. 

The goal is to “advance equity in economic and educational opportunities for all Americans, including Black Americans,” according to the order that is part of a campaign promise made by President Joe Biden to increase funding for HBCUs and make the first two years of college at such institutions free. 

“The federal government must promote a variety of modern solutions for HBCUs, recognizing that HBCUs are not a monolith, and that the opportunities and challenges relevant to HBCUs are as diverse as the institutions themselves and the communities they serve,” Biden said. “It is the policy of my administration to advance educational equity, excellence, and economic opportunity in partnership with HBCUs, and to ensure that these vital institutions of higher learning have the resources and support to continue to thrive for generations to come.”