5 Must-Dos for High-School Seniors

Here’s what you need to know in your last year of high school to reduce college application stress.

08.29.24
5 Must-Dos for High-School Seniors (Getty Images)

The Common Application has been updated for the 2024-2025 school year, so now is the time to get ahead on all things college-related. 

As a high school senior, here are five things I am doing (which you can also do) to stay on top of your applications:

Narrow Down Your College List

Your college counselor probably recommends that you create a balanced list of eight to 12 colleges you will apply to. Balanced means that you have a variety of schools, from safeties (75%+ chance you will be accepted), to targets (25-75% chance you will be accepted), to reaches (less than 25% chance you will be accepted). Most college counselors will advise that you have three to four of each. 

If you haven’t already, be sure to visit the schools on your list, as seeing them in person is often a crucial factor in making the decision of where you want to attend. If you cannot attend, speaking to alums of a school you are interested in, or attending a virtual information session are also good options. 

Take the SAT and/or ACT 

Though most colleges remain test optional for the 2024-2025 season, having a strong standardized test score can be a positive addition to your application. The last possible time you can take the SAT or ACT if you are applying for early decision to a college would be November, so you still have a few months to prepare. 

Because only students that receive extremely high scores submit them now, don’t be discouraged if your scores seem to be on the lower end. However, it is important to make sure that your scores fall between the middle-50% of accepted students, or higher. In order to figure this out, just google it for the specific college or go to the college’s website.

Start Writing Your Personal Statement

You have 650 words and seven prompts to choose from to write your personal statement, which may seem daunting, but don’t worry. If none of the prompts speak to you, there is an option at the end where you can respond to a prompt of your own. This means that you can pretty much write about whatever you want, but remember that a good college essay shows growth and reflection.

To start off, brainstorm a few ideas. If you are stuck, this may help. Just remember that admissions officers want to learn about you and your personality, and things about you they won’t know from reading the rest of your application.

Secure Teacher Recommendations

While you probably secured a teacher recommendation sometime in the spring, if you haven’t, be sure to send a teacher you connect with an email asking. For those of you who have already asked two academic teachers for letters of recommendation, sending them an email reminding them about your recommendation or anything you did over the summer that might be helpful for them to know when writing your recommendation is a good idea. 

When school starts, be sure to meet with your teachers in person and ask if they have any questions about you they need answered to write the best letter of recommendation possible. 

Start Filling Out Common App Information

If you haven’t created a Common Application account, be sure to make one. You might want to open a new email specifically for the Common Application, so that your personal email does not become flooded with college emails. 

Once you have made an account, you can start filling out the tabs such as your profile, family, testing, education, and activities. Most of these are basic information about yourself, such as your ethnicity, where you live, and how many siblings you have. The activities section is challenging because you only have 150 characters (characters, not words!) so you must be concise but also demonstrate the impact you had. This is a good guide for doing just that.

The college application season can be a stressful time, so make sure to take plenty of breaks, exercise, and meet with friends. If you ever feel overwhelmed or confused, talking to your guidance counselor or school psychologist may help you sort out your problems. Good luck, Class of 2025!

Shreya Prabhu is a student journalist from Greenwich, CT. She is passionate about bringing more youth voices into the journalism world. You can find her on Instagram @shreyaprabhuu.