Major U.S. Cities Unaffordable to Black Residents and College Students

05.25.22
Major U.S. Cities Unaffordable to Black Residents and College Students (Deborah Cortelazzi via Unsplash)

Las Vegas, NVAs Inflation has continued to rise, the housing crisis has gotten worse for the Black community and Gen Z. 

A recent study done by the National Equity Atlas found that 93% of districts in major U.S. cities are unaffordable to Black residents. As this problem continues to grow this will do nothing but help contribute to the growing homeless epidemic. 

The study also found 69% of Zip Codes were affordable to white households in 2019. 

One community in particular that is getting affected the most by this are college students and graduates, according to an annual survey conducted by The Hope Center for College, Community, and Justice at Temple University. Nationally, 43% of students at four-year universities experienced housing insecurity in 2020, up from 35% in 2019.

With students getting the short end of the stick, it doesn’t make things easier when they graduate.

According to realtor.com, it found that the constant rise in rent prices is a key factor. The average rent for studio apartments jumped to $1,474 nationwide in February 2022, marking a 17% increase from 2021.

Students and graduates are primarily in the same place of purgatory – they go from fighting for student housing to highly priced off-campus housing that is tough for non-students to pay as well.

For college graduates it is a hard transition they have to face as many of them are moving from part-time to full-time jobs.