Content in partnership with KCBS

How Can I Focus on School During a Pandemic?

01.25.21

Learning from home is not what I’m used to at all. I’ve spent my entire life learning in a traditional classroom and I haven’t been able to adjust to Zoom.

It’s hard to focus on school when I can’t seem to stop thinking about Covid-19, my family’s health, and what the future will be. I’m unmotivated to do my school work. I procrastinate to the point that my assignments have piled up. I can feel my anxiety grow every day.  

I started talking to my mom about my worries. She tells me to breathe if I feel anxious or stressed, to count to ten and pick myself back up again. I’m getting a cat, so I have something to comfort me during this stressful time. It’s helped so much and I feel so much better everyday.

Having to unlearn years of traditional in-person learning isn’t easy. I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to online learning, But I know I can’t give up. And while I didn’t have enough drive to do work at the beginning of the school year, it’s better now and I’m still pushing through.