Career Courses Coming for H.S. Students in Indiana

A key provision in the bill establishes accounts for students in grades 10 to 12 to pay for career training outside their schools. The efforts aim to allow students to earn a post-secondary credential before leaving the school system.

06.01.23
Career Courses Coming for H.S. Students in Indiana (Sam Balye via Unsplash)

ChicagoIndiana high school students will soon see a curriculum more focused on career paths.

The House and Senate have worked across the aisle on House Bill 1002, which seeks to expand work-based learning in Indiana high schools through apprenticeships, internships and more. A key provision in the bill, signed into law by Gov. Eric Holcomb, establishes accounts for students in grades 10 to 12 to pay for career training outside their schools, according to Yahoo News. 

The efforts aim to allow students to earn a post-secondary credential before leaving the school system.

Other elements of the bill require public schools to provide career awareness instruction beginning the 2024-2025 academic year; to offer an annual career fair during regular school hours; and require new high school diploma requirements that make it easier for career education. 

Indiana Secretary of Education Katie Jenner said the bill provides necessary incentives for schools to prepare students for the workforce. 

“House Bill 1002 has been tough for the  general public to wrap their arms around, but there are so many elements of really good opportunity in that which we must seize to hit the ball out of the park,” Jenner said.

To support the bill’s career learning initiatives, it created seven new funds:

• Career Scholarship Account Program Fund 
  • Career Scholarship Account Administration Fund 
  • Career Scholarship Account Donation Fund 
  • Connecting Students with Careers Fund 
  • Teacher Higher Education and Industry Collaboration Grant Program and Fund
  • Career Coaching Grant Fund
  • Intermediary Capacity Building Fund