Jaden Smith Launches Restaurant for the Homeless

05.24.21
Jaden Smith Launches Restaurant for the Homeless (Photo: Rich Fury/MTV VMAs 2020/Getty Images for MTV)

DeKalb, ILActor and rapper Jaden Smith is turning his "I Love You" food truck into a restaurant to give food to the homeless in Los Angeles.

The 22-year-old plans to launch the restaurant to serve vegan food. He didn’t disclose when he plans to open it or the location.

“It’s for homeless people to get free food. But if you’re not homeless, not only do you have to pay, but you have to pay for more than the food’s worth so that you can pay for the person behind you,” Smith said, according to Variety

The new restaurant comes two years after he opened a vegan eatery on Skid Row for his 21st birthday. The food truck passed out brown bags with “I Love You” bowls of carrots and kale to an estimated 8,000 residents in the area, according to The Hollywood Reporter

Smith is also an advocate of the plant-based movement. He partnered with athletic brand, New Balance, to launch his own vegan sneakers in a Wavy Baby Blue colorway, and currently, a bright pink brand.