Job Hunting? Beware of Ghost Positions

10.03.22
Job Hunting? Beware of Ghost Positions

Dolton; IllinoisHave you applied for positions that never seem to get filled? You’re not alone. Recruiters are reportedly leaving job openings posted online that they don’t intend to hire for. So, you’ve apparently been applying to ghost jobs.

One man noticed the trend as he applied for about 300 jobs over the course of six months, according to Entrepreneur

"There are too many jobs posted," he said. "It's almost comical."

Experts say there are several reasons for employers or recruiters to leave the job openings posted. 

Clarify Capital said half of the hiring personnel it surveyed with open job postings, but who are not seeking to fill the roles, are doing so because they are “always open to new people. About 43% of the group said they left the listings up “to give off the impression that the company is growing.” 

Another expert said companies leave up the postings because they can’t predict where the economy is going. Allyn Bailey, director at Smart Recruiters said some positions are “evergreen.”

"That way they have a pipeline to leverage when they're ready," she said.