VP Kamala Harris: ‘No Stranger to Unlikely Journeys’

“I will be a president who unites us around our highest aspirations. A president who leads and listens … who is realistic, practical and has common sense. And always fights for the American people.” -Democratic Presidential nominee Kamala Harris

08.22.24
VP Kamala Harris: ‘No Stranger to Unlikely Journeys’ (Getty Images)

Twelve minutes after gracing the stage Thursday in Chicago at the United Center, Vice President Kamala Harris accepted the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

In her 39-minute speech, Harris thanked her “incredible” husband Doug Emhoff; President Joe Biden, who she said character is “inspiring;” Gov. Tim Walz, who is her running mate who she called “Coach;” and the many delegates and everyone else for their “humbling” support before diving into why the nation needs her as the 47th President.

Knowing that her mother is “looking down smiling,” the vice president said, “The path that led me here in recent weeks was no doubt unexpected. But I’m no stranger to unlikely journeys” as her father taught her to be “fearless.”

There are five words Harris has said consistently throughout her career, and she said they’ll ring true as president: “Kamala Harris, For the People.”

“Our nation with this election has a precious, fleeting opportunity to move past the bitterness, cynicism and divisive battles of the past … a chance to chart a new way forward. Not as members of any one party or faction, but as Americans. And let me say, I know there are people of various political views watching tonight and I want you to know, I promise to be a president for all Americans. You can always trust me to put country above party and self, to hold sacred America’s fundamental principles from the rule of law to free and fair elections to the peaceful transfer of power,” Harris said, adding, “I will be a president who unites us around our highest aspirations. A president who leads and listens … who is realistic, practical and has common sense. And always fights for the American people.”