Proud To Be Jewish On Christmas

by Adina Goldstein
Also Featured on KCBS

Proud To Be Jewish On Christmas

by Adina Goldstein
Also Featured on KCBS
12.24.17
12.24.17

The holidays are supposed to be a joyful time, especially for children, but it is only in the last couple years that I have learned to love them.

I have never celebrated Christmas because I’m Jewish. For the longest time, I didn’t understand why I couldn’t participate. My parents would always say, ‘we’re not christians’, but that didn’t make sense to me then.

In second grade, my parents transferred me to a Jewish school. Although I didn’t think so at the time, it was one of the best things they could have done for me. I made friends with other kids who were Jewish. My religion no longer alienated me from my classmates. I learned the prayers so instead of awkwardly waiting for services to be over, I knew what was happening. I not only learned about Jewish traditions, I learned to be proud of the stories behind them.

I stopped focusing on missing out on Christmas and started celebrating my own rich Jewish Heritage.

Now, I love the holiday season as much as everyone. Delicious food, I can wear warm-fuzzy things, and I get two weeks off school.

Support young journalists and artists